Who is EUSA?

EUSA is a not-for-profit organization that works with universities to provide students with academically directed internship programs. EUSA's internship teams places over 2000 students each year across all industry sector(s). Students apply and are selected by their home institution and EUSA works with the home institution to provide internship placements, support, housing, and academic courses.

Are there any scholarships available?

There are a number of ways to fund participation in a program. You just need to know where to look. Your home institution will have some tips, and the web is another great resource. Below you will find other possibilities to aid students in search of private scholarships and additional funding for study away and study abroad.    

Where is EUSA located?

EUSA has operations in London, Dublin, Madrid, Paris and Prague.

How Do I Contact EUSA?

Please see our Contact Page for contact information for our team.

Can I get financial aid? Can I use my financial aid?

Please contact your home institution to find out about financial aid eligibility.

What is the Placement Process?

You can expect an informal internship consultation with a member of the Placement Team, either on campus or via telephone or Skype. We'll speak about your goals, expectations, preferences, priorities, experience, language skills (where relevant), and any credit requirements. We then use this information to find the most suitable placement for you.

Then what?

1. A provisional placement will be made to you via email. Details will include sponsoring organization, website, job descriptions, hours, dress and previous student evaluations, if available. The placement is "provisional" at this point because it is contingent upon the success of the onsite interview with the sponsoring organization.

2. Upon arrival, an on-site interview will be conducted at the sponsoring organization's office.

You can read more about the placement process in the Predeparture Essentials section.

Do I have a choice of where I can intern?

You have a great deal of control in directing the placement process and ensuring that EUSA makes the right placement. It's important to keep in mind that the time for you to exercise this control is during the earlier part of the process, at your internship consultation with a EUSA placement manager and even before, as you prepare for this meeting. The best way to prepare is to think about the following questions:    

  • What previous experience do you have that makes you a suitable candidate?
  • What types of tasks & responsibilities do you expect to have in your internship?
  • What is your main goal for the internship?
  • What specific skills are you hoping to develop?
  • What are your future career goals and how does this internship relate to them?
  • What kind of credits do you need for this internship?

EUSA takes this information very seriously. We will not let you request a type of placement which we do not feel is a realistic possibility and we also expect you not to agree to a type of placement which you are not willing to undertake, but we DO expect you to have at least three internship preferences. After your meeting, your placement manager will send you an email to follow up on your discussion and confirm that they have understood your preferences, goals, and academic credit requirements. If you do not believe that the placement manager has understood these, it's essential that you notify them immediately, as once a placement has been arranged for you, you cannot change it.

How do I apply?

You must apply through your home institution or, if your home institution does not work with EUSA, another EUSA partner institution.  Please see our Next Steps  for more information.

How much does the program cost?

Students should check with their home institution. As EUSA runs programs for colleges and universities, it does not take payment from individual students or set the final program fee charged to students. Please go to the Next Steps section for information on institutions which work with EUSA.

When should I be in contact with EUSA?

Feel free to contact a member of the EUSA team with any questions you may have at any point throughout the process. However, your home institution should be your first point of contact, as they can help answer all of your questions regarding the application process, selection criteria, academic credit, financial aid, etc.

Can any major participate? Do you have to be a business major?

Study abroad and study away is encouraged for ALL majors, though you will need to check with your home institution to ensure they do not have their own restrictions. EUSA works with students from every field and can accommodate almost any degree with a suitable placement.

Do I have to study in my major field while on this program?

You will need to check with your home institution to determine this.

Do I have to do this program for credit/units?

Yes. All programs must receive academic credit so that you may enter the country on a student visa and therefore legally complete your placement.

How many credits/units do I have to take?

This will vary depending on your program. Check with your home institution for more details.

How many credits/units will I get?

You will need to check with your home institution to determine the number and type of credits you will receive for this program.

Who should I contact if I have questions about the credits/units? The course? Academics?

The program coordinator at your home institution should be able to answer any questions. The local EUSA team is also available to help.

Is there a course? Paper? Journal? Portfolio?

All students must complete an academically directed piece of work in order to be eligible to intern legally on the terms of a student visa. This will vary depending on your program, but you should speak to your home institution in order to determine your specific requirement. You will have one.

How will study be different from the United States?

The academic component of each program varies depending on your home institution; your university will give you more details.

In general, your academic study has been designed to meet the requirements of your home institution, so you should expect to do equivalent amounts, though different types, of work. You are participating in an American program, and will be taking classes with fellow American students. Depending on your program, you may have a faculty member from your university teaching a course, or local faculty. EUSA faculty are generally European, and may have different standards and expectations for you than a professor on your home campus. Tutors often expect their students to take a bit more initiative with readings and projects and may not provide as many guidelines as American professors.

In Europe, most students will have specialized early in their college careers and may be somewhat more knowledgeable about their major course of study than an American with the same number of years - so expect some challenging questions. Most local lecturers note that American students are more open to participate in class discussions, and once they realize that you are eager to participate, the balance of lecture to discussions will often shift.

Remember, every professor is an individual and their expectations and styles will differ.

What if I am not placed?

EUSA has been placing students since 1984 and has never failed to place a student. We DO NOT intend to start with you!  If the EUSA team encounters any trouble with a particular placement request, we may speak to you further and ask you to refine your goals and/or expectations. We will attempt to find your first choice, but there is a possibility that we may need to look elsewhere. This often happens when students do not have the skills or experience necessary for their first choice placement.

Can I see a list of all possible internship placements?

Because of the large numbers of students we are working with, and the number of available placements in any given term, this is just not possible for us to do. Even if we posted a list, we cannot guarantee a particular company would take a student during your program dates - or that is would be the right placement for you if available. Therefore, we do not allow such lists to circulate.

How should I prepare for the placement process?

There are several practical ways in which you can prepare for your placement. The best way of ensuring a successful position is to adopt a POSITIVE ATTITUDE. If you are open minded, willing to listen to advice, and are enthusiastic then you'll be guaranteed a positive and beneficial experience.

What is a CV?

CV stands for Curriculum Vitae (Latin for "course of life"). This term is used interchangeably with "resume" in Europe.  A CV can be up to 2-3 pages. A sample CV can be found here.

When will I find out where I will be interning? Should I worry if my friends find out about their placements before I do?

The Placement Team will do their best to notify you prior to your arrival, but it is not uncommon (or cause for concern) if you have not been placed by then. Because we work with each student individually and accommodate individual requests, this process takes time and we ask that you be patient with us. We want to find the right experience for you - which could take days, weeks or sometimes months. We could place you in just any internship in a matter of minutes - finding the best possible internship can take much longer.   We will notify you of our progress but you are free to contact us at any time to enquire about your placement. It is important to remember that since this process caters to individual students, you and your fellow students may find out about your placements before one another.

Will I be paid?

All placements are unpaid. You are able to intern legally because these are unpaid placements for which you are receiving credit at your home institution. Occasionally supervisors may offer to cover the costs of your transportation and/or lunch expenses - but this is NOT required of them and should be treated with appreciation. By no means should you expect or ask for compensation.

What should I bring to wear at work?

We will answer this question once we know where you will be placed. It is tough to generalize on this one because we have placements ranging from suits and ties to sandals and jeans types! Make sure you ask about this if we haven't told you by the time you leave.If in doubt you might ask us which of the examples shown here most closely resembles the most appropriate attire for your placement. In general, it is wise to bring at least one conservative work outfit (a suit if you have one) for your interview (or formal meetings and events) and see how your colleagues are dressed and adapt to the level of formality. Even if you are working in a more formal environment, do not feel pressured into buying a full wardrobe of suits if you can't afford it. You will not be a fashion pariah if your wardrobe is limited to a few outfits!

How long should I expect to commute to work?

This will depend on where you live and where you are placed. A few lucky people may only have a short walk to work; a few brave souls will have to take two buses, cross the city, and spend over an hour getting to work; commutes of an hour or more are normal for Dublin. Dublin traffic is notorious (in a recent study of how long it took to transport a five kilogram parcel five kilometers, the only city slower than Dublin was Bombay!) so while your commute may seem arduous, EVERYONE is in the same boat (or on the same bus, or sitting in the same traffic jam). During your internship consultation, you will be asked if a long commute would be an overwhelming consideration for your internship. As with any job, the best - or sometimes the only - opportunity in your chosen field may involve a long commute.

What will I be doing at work

You can expect your placement to be a different experience to one in the US in various ways:

  • The aim of this experience is to give you a taste of working life. You will not necessarily have a specific project to work on but will be expected to help out with day-to-day tasks.
  • Supervisors are busy professionals and most will not work out a specific schedule for students.
  • A lot of the learning will be done through your own initiative. You will need to be proactive about making sure you are getting the experience you want. Speak up, ask for work, and make sure your team members know you are available for any and every task!
  • All placements will have an element of clerical tasks to them (the realities of any job). Be sure to handle these with a smile and you'll soon find your responsibilities increased.
  • Only so much can be achieved during a short-term placement. Be realistic about what you can expect - remember this is an international experience no matter what you're doing on any specific day. Look at the bigger picture and know that you're going to be worlds ahead of your classmates who stayed in the States for their semester or summer!
  • Sometimes you are given more responsibilities than you would expect for a work experience student. Treat this as an opportunity to try the real world.
Can I take any days off work for vacation, travel?

NO! As you are on a short-term placement, attendance is mandatory. Your supervisor will be expecting you, like any member of staff, to be at work for the ENTIRE period. The only excusable reason for missing work is illness. You must notify your supervisor and a member of the placement team when this occurs.

Can I extend my internship?

This is virtually impossible because of strict visa laws. Speak to a member of the placement team directly if this is a question that concerns you. If you and your supervisor wish to make any arrangements to extend the placement, EUSA is not in a position to offer advice on visas or arrange housing or other services beyond the dates of the original program.

What can I expect my hours to be?

This is difficult to generalize, you will work whatever is asked of you, and this will be vastly different for different industries (an investment banker will work much longer hours than a school teacher, for example). These hours are non-negotiable and will be expected by the supervisor and the Placement Team.

What if I have my own contacts? Can I use them?

If you have your own contacts for a placement then please bring all the details to your initial consultation or email the Placement Team with the information. We will then be able to advise you. You must not seek out your own positions without consulting a member of the Placement Team. You should remember that your legal status in this country is dependent upon your position being approved by the Placement Team.

How can I start preparing now for the interview with my internship supervisor?

Your interview with your prospective placement should be treated as a FORMAL INTERVIEW. Please see our In Dublin Essentials section for detailed information on preparing for this interview.

What if the interview doesn't go well? What happens if I don't get the job?

Try not to worry about this too much - it rarely happens. If it does, the Placement Team will react quickly to find you another interview at a different company. This may delay the start of your placement by a day or two, but should not be a big problem. Prepare yourself by rehearsing with a friend or parent if you are worried. Your university's career service website should have examples of typical interview questions.

Who should I contact if I have questions about the placement process? Internships?

Contact a member of the Placement Team via email and we will respond as quickly as possible.

What if I am unhappy during my placement?

Do not keep problems or concerns to yourself! If things are not going well at your placement, please make an appointment to see a member of the Placement Team. We are here to help and offer advice, if for some reason you don't feel confident or able to deal with a situation that arises at work. We will probably have met and dealt with a similar situation in the past.    

Once you have agreed to a placement following your interview, you have made a COMMITMENT to that company for the duration of your placement period. Therefore, please be aware that the Placement Team will focus on addressing your placement concerns and improving your current placement, but will not simply move you unless in the case of an extenuating circumstance. Talk to the Placement Team regarding any placement concerns, as quitting or walking out of a placement is not acceptable behaviour and may affect the internship credit you receive at your home university.

When should I apply for/renew my passport?

NOW! NOW! NOW! Do not delay in getting or renewing your passport.

Please check the expiration date - we have had students in the past who have had to delay their departure because they have not renewed their passports on time!

Also, please check that it does not expire for at least 6 months AFTER your program ends. If it is going to expire in this time period, then renew it NOW! To find out more about renewing or applying for a passport, visit

How can I prepare before I leave?

Read the Predeparture Essentials section before you leave! This is ESSENTIAL background reading for you about your upcoming study abroad program. It will help you to prepare for your cultural, academic, placement experiences, and contains numerous suggestions for books, films, and local newspapers and media outlets.

Do I need to get a student visa?

US citizens do not need to apply in advance for a student visa; if you are not a US citizen, check with the relevant embassy or consulate in your native country. See the Predeparture Essentials section for more details.

Do I need health insurance?

Yes.  One of the requirements to participate in a study abroad program is to have a health insurance policy that offers international coverage. Although many health insurance plans only cover emergency medical services, some also offer more routine medical services. EUSA requires that students contact their health insurance providers prior to departure. See the Predeparture Essentials section for detailed information on what to ask your health insurance provider.   Please also check with your home university to see if health insurance is provided by them.   EUSA requires that you provide a copy of your insurance card and, if possible, a copy of the international coverage policy. It is essential for all students to inquire about coverage and ensure that they will be covered in the country or countries where they will be studying and travelling.

Do I need travel insurance?

Yes. EUSA recommends all students participating on its programs have an International Student Identity Card (ISIC) as this includes basic travel insurance. First check with your home institution to see if travel insurance is provided by them. If it is not, please note that ISIC cards must be purchased by students at a US issuing office prior to departure. Many cards purchased abroad do not offer the basic insurance.   In addition, students may want to purchase their own travel insurance or find out if they are covered with travel insurance through their current health insurance provider.

What should I pack?

Pack Light! Space is at a premium, and remember that you are coming for a relatively short amount of time. You do not need to have a different outfit for each and every day. Do NOT forget:

  • An umbrella
  • Adequate supplies of prescription and non-prescription medications
  • A copy of your CV
  • Copies of necessary entry documents for customs and immigration (see the Predeparture Essentials section  for detailed information)
What clothes will I need?

Whatever you pack will probably be more than you will need. Clothing you can layer is best. Since you will hopefully bring as little as possible, you will do best to bring clothes that are easily mixed and matched. It is often said that casual wear in Europe is less casual than in the United States, and you should be prepared with some semi-dressy clothes for an occasional invitation out as well as appropriate business attire for your internship. Be sure to pack shoes you will be comfortable in - you'll do a lot of walking! Even if you are a fashionista, it's best not to pack too much as you will find European styles just a little different from the US and you may want to adapt to the local look.

Do I need to bring linens and towels?

You do not need to bring bed linens. You will either need to provide your own towels, or will probably want to have a personal towel for trips and weekends, so we recommend all students bring one.

What about a hair dryer and other appliances?

Bear in mind that the voltage in Europe is much higher than the US, and it is easier to buy an inexpensive hair dryer, straightener, etc when you arrive than worry about bringing one and buying the appropriate converter. Plus, this will help you save packing space!

Should I bring enough toiletries and personal care products to last the whole semester?

In general, basic personal care items (soap, shampoo and conditioner, anti-perspirant) cost about the same as they would in any other major city in the US, so there's no need to use up valuable suitcase space on ten bottles of hairspray. You may have to try a new brand of shampoo for a month or two, but you'll find a good selection in the major chemist (drugstore) chains. The one exception to this advice is contact lens solution - if you have a strong preference for a particular brand, bring plenty with you. If you rely on a particular prescription or non-prescription medication, be sure to bring an adequate supply with you. Pharmacists will rarely fill a foreign prescription, assuming that particular drug is even available.

Should I bring a laptop?

If you are a heavy computer user, you should bring your laptop. However, if you feel you can manage with internet cafes, you may find that the laptop is one less thing to worry about. All student bedrooms in Shanowen Square have the option of internet access. Your computer must have a minimum of Windows 2000 or Mac OSX. Notify staff at check-in if you are interested in signing up for internet access. Most laptops are dual voltage but be certain that it can run on 220/240 volts or purchase a voltage converter. Otherwise, you will only need a plug adaptor; Ireland uses the same current and plugs as Britain, so look for UK converters or adaptors. Computers should be insured under your family's general household policy or a specialized student insurance policy to the full value of the computer (including modem, CD ROM, etc.). For computer insurance policies check with companies such as Safeware or National Student Services.

Who should I contact with questions before my program starts?

You can contact the EUSA team or your home institution.

What do I need to pass through immigration?

You will need your passport, the letter from your university stating that you are a full time student and have paid your course and accommodation fees, proof of health insurance, proof of funds to support yourself for the duration of your stay (at least €135 per week), and proof of your intention to leave once your course of study has finished (typically a round trip ticket is sufficient). You should be very clear that you are entering the country for a course of studies. Do NOT say you are coming to “work” as this may be confused with working in paid employment.   It is important that you are awake and alert as you pass through immigration: you may get the wrong stamp in your passport if you are not paying attention or do not prepare yourself for questions from the Immigration Officer.     Please also see the Predeparture Essentials section.

Who should I contact if I have questions about customs/immigration?

Please contact the Program Team for your EUSA city.

Remember to be friendly and polite as you pass through Immigration. Ultimately, it is up to the individual immigration officer to allow you to pass and remain in the country.

How do I get there? Which airport should I use?

Check with your home university to see if they have arranged a group flight. If not, check with your campus student travel agency for advice on special fares. If at all possible try to fly directly from the United States to Dublin (airport code DUB) rather than going through Heathrow in London or Amsterdam. While flights which go through London or Amsterdam can be a bit less expensive, it will almost certainly add several hours to your journey and make clearing immigration a bit more complicated. Unless the savings is significant, try to fly direct to Ireland. While you can use one of many internet search engines for flights, be sure to check the website for Aer Lingus, the Irish national airline, as they often have the best deals on their own flights.

Is there a group flight?

This depends on your program. Contact your home institution to see if they have arranged a group flight.

Will I be picked up at the airport? How do I get from the airport to housing?

This will depend on your particular program. If you are not on a group flight which is being met at the airport, you will need to find your own way to the housing. If airport pick-up is not included in your program, you should plan to spend anywhere from €10 to €35 on a taxi (readily available outside the arrivals hall); but we advise having €100 just in case of emergencies.

Can I arrive early?

You may arrive early, but you will be responsible for arranging and paying for your own housing.

Where do I have to be and when on the first day of the program?

On the first day of the program, you will move into your housing and collect your orientation folder. There will be a neighborhood tour of local facilities. The next day, compulsory orientation begins. You will receive more information in predeparture emails commencing about a month before you leave the United States.  If you have any questions, please contact the Dublin Program Team.

What happens the rest of the first week?

You will have a variety of orientation meetings, tours, and social activities including a welcome reception. Most students will have their internship interviews during the first week. If you have classes during your time here, those will likely begin the first or second week.

Where can I buy a map?

We strongly recommend that you take the time to study a map of your new city BEFORE you arrive. You can always look online at or you can buy a map from most large bookstores or

Where can I shop for food when I arrive?

Please check the In Dublin Essentials section for details on local food stores and shopping districts.

Who can I contact if I have any problems getting to the housing/meeting point for the first day of the program?

Contact your local EUSA office; if it is outside office hours or no one answers, the voicemail greeting will give you an emergency number to contact.

Where is the housing located?

This depends on your individual program. You will be given more information by your home institution or EUSA. Most students live in either Shanowen Square Student Residences in Santry or in Merville Residences in University College Dublin, approximately 3-4 miles from the city center. The housing is student-dedicated, fully furnished, self-contained, with on-site laundry facilities. In low traffic conditions, both residences are a half-hour bus-ride to the city center & costs approx 25EUR by taxi.

What are the student residences like?

The student residences are modern apartment-style dorms with single rooms (all with private bathrooms) attached to a common kitchen and living area (usually shared between three to seven people). You may be sharing an apartment with students from other programs and countries.

Are land lines/fixed phones available in the housing?


Is there computer access? Internet access? Printing available?

There is internet access in the housing (it may take a few days for it to be connected). There are many local internet cafes which you can use for computing and printing.

What if I have family/friends that live in the area? Can I stay with them?

EUSA and your home institution will determine requests of this sort on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the program coordinator at your home institution for more information.

Can I request roommates?

Yes, you can indicate roommate preferences in your Online Registration form. We make every attempt to accommodate your requests, but are not able to make any guarantees. Rooms are allocated first for medical, religious, and behavioral considerations, and then for other reasons.

Is the housing co-ed?

Yes. Building and apartments are co-ed, but bedrooms are single-sex only.

Is there a meal plan in the student residences?

There is no meal plan in student residences and apartments, but the kitchens have all the necessary pots, pans, dishes and utensils to allow you to cook for yourself, and most students enjoy cooking in groups and sharing responsibilities.

Can I stay in EUSA housing if I stay after my program ends?

You must make any arrangements for additional housing on your own. It is possible in some cases, but EUSA cannot offer any guarantees. Once the program ends, EUSA cannot be responsible for any concerns or issues you have with the housing, or provide emergency support for students who choose to remain in the country.  It is also very important to check the terms of your visa first.

Can I/should I get a mobile phone?

Most students do opt to purchase a local pre-paid mobile or SIM card for their US mobile (if compatible). While it is ultimately your decision, keep in mind that you are required to keep in touch with the EUSA office and to be contactable, so if you do not plan to check your email on a daily basis, a mobile phone may be a good idea. Check your arrival packs for information on major local mobile networks.

Will my American cell phone work abroad?

Tri-band GSM phones should work worldwide. However, this may be an expensive option. Please check with your phone provider for specifics and to find out if you have a triband phone. If you bring your own phone, you may want to purchase a local SIM card when you arrive at one of the plethora of mobile phone shops

Can I use my ATM card?

Certainly. ATM cards are the easiest way to draw money out of your American account, and you tend to get the best exchange rates as well. Before you leave, make sure that your ATM card is linked to a checking, not a savings account. Inform your bank that you are going abroad and ensure that you have a 4-digit PIN number. We also recommend bringing a credit card (Visa and MasterCard are most widely accepted) to have as a back up in case your ATM card is stolen or lost .

How do I/should I exchange money?

You should purchase or order foreign currency at your bank before leaving the US so that you have some cash in case you need it on arrival (keep in mind that if you live outside a major city, you may have to wait for your bank to order foreign currency). If you use an ATM card linked to your home bank account, you will not have to exchange money and will automatically get the most favorable exchange rate; if you use the same bank as your parents, you can put their name on your account before you go, allowing them to transfer money to you. If you do need to exchange dollars for Euros, banks will offer the most favorable rate. You should also bring a credit card for emergencies; you will also find that this automatically offers the best exchange rate on purchases. Visa and Mastercard are the most widely accepted credit cards. You should notify your credit card company before you depart that you plan to be in Europe ; they might interpret a rash of foreign purchases as a sign of theft or fraud.

How much money should I bring with me?

You should have at least €100 in cash for your arrival to cover any immediate expenses until you can get to an ATM.  How much money you need can only be determined by what you think you need. If you don't eat out, avoid spending a lot of money on alcohol, and take advantage of the numerous free or inexpensive cultural activities, you probably won't have to spend much at all.  You should also budget at least as much, per course, for books, that you spend at home. Used books are less readily available and library hours are not as long, so you may want to budget more than usual for photocopying.

How much should I plan to spend during the program?

The amount of money you should bring depends on your style of living and if you plan on traveling much. Travel is an easy way to spend a lot of money. Please refer to the Predeparture Essentials section for more details on cost of living. The average student reports that they need at least $225 per week.

Can you give me a breakdown of your fee? There is a student in the housing/the internship who is paying less for the same thing; why?

EUSA works with partner colleges and universities to run our internship programs. As students apply to and pay the college and university, not EUSA, we do not have control over the final amount charged to individual students, nor are we aware of all the factors that may have affected that price. In some cases, a college or university may offer other services and activities not provided through EUSA which affects the final price to students (including their own costs for administering the program on the home campus). In other cases, a university may have access to funding or grants which allow them to heavily subsidize the cost of the program to individual students. Additionally, as all of our programs are custom developed with the partner college or university, they may opt for very different services and activities. EUSA may be providing only the internship for a particular program, or we may be running a full program including housing, program management, academic courses, and a full slate of social activities and excursions.  Students who are living adjacent to one another may be participating in programs with very different levels of involvement from EUSA, or their different colleges and universities have, for possible reasons outlined above, charged different fees for a similar program. Students may also meet European students in their housing or at their internships who are paying less (or nothing at all) for their housing or placements. The EU and individual European countries offer a variety of subsidized options for internships – remember that college is completely free of charge in many European countries! As for housing, rates are affected by the duration of stay; a neighbor who reports that they are paying what seems like a much lower fee may be staying for a much longer duration and would therefore be able to avail of a better rate.

What happens if I get sick?

If you have a minor illness and cannot go to your internship, you must call the EUSA office AND your internship supervisor on each day that you will be absent. If you are absent for more than two days in a calendar week due to illness, you may be required to submit a doctor’s note to EUSA. Please see the FAQ for Emergencies as well as information in the In Dublin Essentials section for full details of what to do in a medical emergency. If you undergo any medical treatment please inform the EUSA office as soon as possible. If you are suffering any sort of depression or mental distress you must contact the Program Director immediately. He or she will put you in contact with the necessary therapists. Full details of local healthcare providers can be found in the In Dublin Essentials section and the Health & Safety handbook.

Can I go to a doctor/hospital/pharmacy/dentist with my health insurance?

You must check with your individual insurance provider about levels of coverage while you are overseas. In general, even if you are covered, you will have to pay the local healthcare provider in full and be reimbursed later by your insurance company. See the Predeparture Essentials section for a checklist of steps for confirming your international health insurance coverage. Many insurers require you to call them before seeking treatment – please make sure you are familiar with the requirements of your own policy.    In general, routine dental treatment is not covered.

What happens if I have an emergency?

If you have a medical emergency requiring hospital treatment or have been the victim of a crime, you should call emergency services at 999 and then contact the EUSA office or the EUSA off-hours emergency contact number. The on-duty staff person will speak with you to assess the situation and advise you on what to do or make arrangements to meet you in person if necessary.  If you undergo any medical treatment please inform the EUSA office as soon as possible. If you are suffering any sort of depression or mental distress you must contact the Program Director immediately. He or she will put you in contact with the necessary therapists. Full details of local healthcare providers can be found in the In Dublin Essentials section and the hard copy Health & Safety handbook.

Who should my parents contact if they want to get a hold of me?

You! It is your responsibility to keep in touch with your parents. You will be given contact information for your housing before you leave, and you should let them know your cell phone number if you choose to get a local phone while you are in Europe. Please make sure your parents have this information. If there is a family emergency at home and your family cannot reach you, they should call the local EUSA office – if it is outside normal office hours, the voicemail greeting will give the emergency phone number – and we will make every effort to contact you.    

We ask that you keep in touch with your family both as a courtesy to them and to avoid abusing EUSA staff resources – it is not acceptable for the on-duty staff member to take a phone call at 3am because you didn’t feel like returning your parents’ last five phone calls.

Can I travel before/during the program?

You may travel, but you must ensure that you will not miss or be late for your internship for any reason, therefore it is best to take only short trips at the weekend. You must notify the EUSA if you are going to leave the city for any reason – you can do this via the Online Gateway or simply send the Program Team an email letting us know the broad outline of your travel plans.

Should I buy a Rail/Bus/Metro pass?

This will depend on your housing and your internship. In general, if you are living in student residences in the suburbs, the student travelcard (which entitles you to purchase discounted student tickets) is probably a good idea. See for more information. However, if your internship is within walking distance (as it may be if you live in the city center or if your placement happens to be in the same suburb as your housing), it might be a better idea to pay per journey. You can read more about the student tickets at  

Where can I find information on flights/trains/buses?

Please see In Dublin essentials section for full details of local travel and public transportation options, as well as useful travel websites.

Should I buy a Eurail pass before I leave the US?

Certainly you can; however previous students who purchased them did not use them to their full potential unless they were traveling after the program. Please check the website : for more information. Take note that if you are going to purchase a Eurail Pass, you should do so before leaving the US.

EUSA is a not-for-profit internship organization specializing in customized, academically-directed programs in
London, Dublin, Madrid, Paris, and Prague.

QAAreviewed                 Member of the Forum on Education Abroad                Generation Study Abroad Commitment Partner

Click here to read this institution's latest review report.

Copyright © 2010 - 2017 EUSA All Rights Reserved